Wednesday, February 28, 2007

The Remote Wrangler

I was beginning to think that I was getting away from the general purpose of this blog. I had originally intended to talk mostly about really dumb ideas, but they aren’t reported on everyday, so I’ve mostly been offering up my takes on new announcements. But, today is a perfect example of why I started this in the first place.

It is “The Multimedia Remote Control Wrangler.” Engadget reported on it today, clearly poking fun at it, but being pretty candid. Well, I just have to say, it’s one of the stupidest things I’ve ever seen, honestly. The idea: instead of buying an expensive all-in-one remote, like a Logitech Harmony, buy one of these. It enables you to keep all of your remotes in one easily accessible place. Well what place is that? You might be asking. It’s your head!

The, clearly brain-dead, inventor thought it’d be a popular idea to strap remotes, or really any small accessory, to your head. What was he (or she) thinking? Honestly, I don’t want to sit on the couch with 4 remotes stuck to my head. In the picture, they have all really small remotes, I don’t know about your experience, but the majority of remotes for home theater components that I’ve seen are pretty freaking big these days. But, the plain fact is that I wouldn’t want to put even a small remote on my head. Plus, not only is it a headband, there’s an entire chinstrap thing going on with it.



The only benefit I can possibly see is the massager built into it. That alone might warrant a purchase of this, no wait, never mind. The most interesting thing I found in the original article, is that it uses “Velcro-like material” Which is “made from a stretchable fabric.” I’ve never heard of such a thing. It seems like maybe that could be an interesting and possibly useful patent.

1 comment:

No Name said...

I briefly glanced over the picture earlier in the morning and I was like, "That can't be what I think I just saw." But, you confirmed it. Who honestly funds people to make such retarded stuff? haha.