Saturday, February 17, 2007

The Latest in Cyborgian Fashion

So, this post is fueled by Engadget’s latest edition of “Keeping it Real Fake (XLVI)”. Today, they’re reporting on a pair of sunglasses that double as an MP3 player. The pair that they are showing today, is a knockoff of a pair of Oakley glasses that do the same. In addition to that, I’m reminded of the iTheater Video Glasses, which connect to your Video iPod, and let you watch video, in your glasses.

I know I can’t speak for the rest of you, (the 2-3 of you) but I would never use any of these. They’re big, they’re ugly, and they’re just impractical. I’m not sure what the designers of these pieces of teched out eyewear were thinking; maybe they’re under the impression that Sci-Fi is the new chique. Or, perhaps, they’re one of those people who dream about being dominated by a half-human, half-machine, cyborg.

The only upside to the iTheater Video Glasses, that I can think of, is for frequent travelers. I myself take a three-hour train on occasion and watching a full-length movie on my iPod, simply isn’t the best. So, if I had these glasses, (and more importantly the self-confidence to wear them in a public setting) I could just sit back and watch, instead of staring down at the small screen of my iPod for two hours.

I’m not sure about the price on the knockoffs, but the Oakley glasses retail for $499 for the 256MB model. Which is absolutely ridiculous, when you can drop $349 and walk away with an 80GB iPod Video. So let’s run some comparisons on that: you get, 320 times the storage capacity, (plus video playback, plus the fact that it’s somewhat of a fashion icon, rather than something that would warrant an arrest from the fashion police) at 30% less, in terms of green. The iTheater Video Glasses come in at $349 as well, which brings to the total to $600 or $700 depending on the iPod model you get to use along with them. Again, not exactly what I would call a good use of tech budget.

No comments: