Saturday, March 31, 2007

No PS3s in UK Jails

I’ve been sticking mainly to just analyzing tech hear (the purpose of the blog), but after seeing this article at Engadget, I decided that I absolutely have to throw a bit of my moral judgment into the ring. It seems as if the Home Secretary, John Reid, has declared that PS3’s will not be allowed into jails in the UK because of their possibility as communication devices. This is a very good reason, but I can’t help but think that there’s a better one.

To me, the best reason to keep PS3 out of jails is that it provides a luxury that many law-abiding people do not have, to convicted criminals. Honestly, if you’re in prison, you shouldn’t be allowed very many amenities at all. Call me cruel, but while you’re in jail I say that you should be allowed only a very few things, maybe books, news papers, and some sporting and fitness equipment, as well as food and that sort of necessary type of thing. I just don’t see how prisons and their administrators can possibly think it is a practical use of tax dollars to buy prisoners things that many citizens do not have. The point of prison is to punish criminals.

Honestly, if my life takes a turn for the worse and I’m left without a home, or family, or money, and jails continue to give prisoners things like cable television and high tech goodies such as gaming consoles, I might just commit a crime. When you’re living on the streets, it’d be hard to beat a free room, free food, and lots of time to bulk up and brush up on video game skills.

No comments: